Saturday, January 5, 2013

Days 1, 2, and 3

We've made it through 3 days!!  Of course, as soon as you plan to watch what you eat, parties arise, events happen, and celebrations occur.  Things wouldn't be any different this time...of course not!  So, in the three days since we've started the diet, we've had a get together lunch with a group of long time friends and a sports gathering to watch a playoff game--not the easiest things to help you "watch your weight." 

DAY 1:  Notes, Tips, and Recipes

After I prepped for the diet, the first day wasn't that hard.  My husband made the mistake of only eating one egg for breakfast which then made him get hungry at work early (usually he would have a piece of toast with his egg).  So, two eggs (or an egg white omelet) is a must for breakfast in our case!  Good to know!

Since I was still off from school for Christmas break, I was able to cook throughout the day.  I browned up 2.5 lbs of ground turkey with a lot of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper (we like things spicy).  I used this meat for a taco salad which I made with a mix of roman lettuce, spinach, and salsa verde...yummy!  I also put two other small containers of taco meat aside for salads the next day.  I used the rest of the meat in my Spicy Turkey Chili which we had for dinner on day 1.  It was yummy!!  *Check out the recipe on the recipe page.

Overall, I didn't have any extreme cravings or issues with day 1.

DAY 2:  Notes, Tips, and Recipes

For day two, I went out of town with some friends to meet up with high school friends and their kids.  My friend was going to make lunch for us.  I told her ahead of time that I was on a diet and would bring my own lunch; I felt like a bit of a loser, but I didn't want to make her plan for my diet.

I packed up grapes, a large container of roman/spinach mix, my small container of taco turkey meat from yesterday, and the salsa.  I filled up my large tervis tumbler with cold green tea and we headed out.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  And my friend actually made a spread of cold cuts that I snagged a couple pieces of turkey from...which made me feel like I was cheating since it wasn't in my "packed lunch."  There were chips and cookies which were tempting, but I decided that it just wasn't worth it.   

For dinner I made a Chicken Dijon with Meyer Lemons dish with cauliflower, broccoli, and red onion side.  It wasn't my favorite dish, but we ate it and were relieved that is wasn't turkey.  After dinner, my husband and I wanted something sweet; we were fully but just not satisfied.  I had seen a recipe for an egg custard and decided to give that a try.  I couldn't find little ramekin dishes for it, so I put it in a 9x9...not a wise choice.  It was overcooked and tasted like sweet eggs.  I may try it again in a smaller dish so that it can be thicker.  We ended up dumping it.  Oh well.  But we still weren't satisfied.  I decided to give the Carrot Cake Smoothie a shot.  I quickly cooked up some carrots in the microwave and went to town making it.  It was okay.  We both drank the smoothies and felt like it was sweet enough to meet our need.  *It's hard finding something sweet when you aren't supposed to eat fruit after 2pm. 

DAY 3:  Notes, Tips, and Recipes

Today we went to a party for the Bengal's wild card playoff game.  Our friends were smoking beef brisket and invited a group over.  Since we couldn't have the delicious brisket (which I would like to applaud my husband for sticking to), I asked if we could smoke some Salmon if he was still going to have the smoker going.  He said yes, so we thawed out some Salmon and brought it with us--it was really good. 

I tried to make Kale chips today.  I have never had them before and don't know what they are supposed to look like/taste like.  They were so thin and flaky that they weren't really worth it.  I might try it again, cooking it a little less, since I think that I overcooked them a little. 

For the football party we went to, I made up some Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Dip that we ate with celery.  My friends also made a low-fat spinach artichoke dip that we munched on.  I'm not sure that everything in the dip was totally on the diet, but it will be simple enough for me to try to make up and make sure it fits the diet completely (I will be doing this in the future).  We drank a green tea, water, and a diet soda, so we felt like we were partaking in the drinking, even if it wasn't beer.  Don't get me wrong...there's nothing better than a beer while watching the game.  But once again, I felt like it wasn't worth it...especially since I probably splurged on that yummy dip. 



So, 3 days done...not squeaking clean, but pretty good.  :)  Hope others are trying the diet and finding success.  Post your comments, suggestions, and recipes!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment